Bamboo Siding for Gwegwesha Day Care Center

The shelter for the Gwegwesha Day Care Center was made as a Tin Shack with three of the outside walls already covered with wood.  Tin was still displayed on the outside of the front of the shack.  Our third project was to cover the front of the shelter with bamboo.  Shelter sided with bamboo is low maintenance and blends beautifully with natural landscapes.  Bamboo is fast growing grass.

We began this project by going to another location and cutting down the bamboo.  The men used a machete and hand saws to cut it down.

And we, the women carried it the trailer to be transported to Wellington’s place.

Note:  After our first day of cutting down the Bamboo, Amber broke out in an allergic reaction and had to go to the Doctor for medication.  For this reason, she was restricted from working with the bamboo.

Next, we used the machete to clean the bamboo up.  The guys used the machete, hammer and the hand saw to split each one in half.

We, the women, lined up the bamboo and drilled holes in them in for the screws to be placed through.

That was the end of our week.  The next week the other group from our group worked on putting up the bamboo.  When we returned for our final visit, we were able to see the final product!

We all were so proud, on our final review day we used this spot as our back drop for taking pictures.

206

 

 

 

Toilets for Gwegwesha Day Care Center

Because Wellington is a very resourceful community leader, he learned of Volunteer Africa 32 South and the work they did to uplift and develop rural African schools.  He reached out to them for assistance.  They agreed and made a commitment to help him, which is how we connected to his project.

Before our arrival, Volunteer Africa had previously connected a group from Germany to work on Wellington’s project.  They were successful in building the fence around the property and refurbishing the inside roof in the shelter.  They did not stop there.  Because the shelter was just one room, there was no bathroom.  The children were using a little potty that was outside on the side of the shelter; no privacy amongst each other or anyone else.  The Germany group saw this as a priority need, when they were working at the crèche and they collected funds from their friends in Germany and purchased outside toilets (portal potties) for the crèche.

By the time we arrived, installing the toilets was next on the agenda.  The Germany group had already completed digging the holes for the toilets.

238

The next step was building the foundation for the toilets, which included making and laying cement.

Wellington had different piles of rocks and sand on his land.  We needed to transport the rocks and sand across the road to the creche grounds.  We used one wheel barrel and filed it up with rocks.  After it was filled, Ronald, one of the project helpers or Denver would walk it across the road to the Crèche.

Next, we had to mix the rocks and sand.  Then add water, cement and mix it all together.

Next, the board for the cement had to be laid.

Then tailored with a hole for the toilet.

 

Next, the steps for the cement to be added.

Next, the cement was poured onto the board.

And that was the end of our week.  The work continued with the other four of our group, the next week.  When we returned for our second week, the toilets were installed!

Now, the kids can have privacy when using the toilets!  Denver had to teach them to stand in a line.  

534

538